Thursday, September 30, 2010

Walked Right Into Greatness

I was billed to open for Tony Joe White last night at Rhythm & Brews in Chattanooga, TN. I had my expectations high, because I know music. I know the bad ass that TJW is.  I walked in to sound check around 7pm and seen they had already set up the drums and amp. I just did my quick line/monitor check and went and had dinner. All the time thinking about my set. Wondering which songs to play and which ones not to play. Should I do a cover song to give an idea of my musical taste. All the things I do before I play.
When I got back to R&B I grabbed a beer and walked in the green room and there sat Tony Joe. We shook hands and he started to introduce his drummer right at the same time I noticed who it was. I said I know who he is with a huge "star struck" kind of smile. It was Richie Albright. The man who laid the foundation of Waylon Jennings' trademark "Outlaw Beat" He also produced a lot of those great tracks as well. Not to mention that he co-wrote one of the greatest duets in country music. "The Conversation." Waylon & Hank JR. Both of them were very cool dudes who really just enjoyed what they do. I love being in the same room with people like that.
I've met and opened for Shooter Jennings, played over 40+ of Waylon's songs live and last night was the first time I really felt the presence. Might sound corny, but I don't give a shit. I felt it. Great night!
BTW, Tony Joe White is a monster. With Richie holding that back beat, they were a 2 piece dirty hunk of country blues.

CW.


No comments:

Post a Comment